Settlements and Case Experience
BCA’s team of FELA attorneys have collectively tried or settled hundreds of cases resulting in tens of millions of dollars for our clients. Our attorneys fight for your rights and know what it takes to win – and win big! Below are but a few examples of the types of cases BCA has handled.
July 29th, 2014 - BCA Verdict and Settlement Announcement
Joshua Dorman, a Union Pacific Railroad employee was injured while driving a company truck when the brakes failed causing the truck to roll over. Mr. Dorman suffered injuries to his cervical spine and shoulder when he was ejected from the truck. Joshua Dorman’s lawsuit was settled last week, terms of the settlement are confidential. The plaintiffs argued that Union Pacific Railroad Company failed to properly maintain the vehicle after the employee notified his supervisor of the brake defect.
While the settlement terms will remain confidential, Mr. Dorman is very pleased with the results of the case. Attorney Paula Rasmussen, of Brent Coon and Associates stated that she was both proud to represent Joshua Dorman and also pleased with the results of the settlement. Paula Rasmussen stated, “We are so proud of the courage in which Joshua showed throughout the entire process and are pleased that their efforts were richly rewarded today.”
Attorney Jack Feeney represented Union Pacific Railroad Company in this lawsuit which was filed in Kern County Superior Court.
July 14th, 2014 - BCA Verdict and Settlement Announcement
Jim Yoder , a Union Pacific Railroad employee and member of the Unified System Division of the BMWED , was badly injured on November 20 ,2011 while working on a Rail Pickup Train near Topeka , Kansas. Walking down a right of way road to gather up with the members of his gang at the end of the day he was knocked down and run over by the gang’s supervisor who was driving his pickup backwards down the right of way road.
Jim’s claim against the UPRR settled on the third day of trial in Roseville , California. While the UPRR insists that the terms of the settlement remain confidential , Jim and his wife Karen are very pleased with the result. Jim Cox and Paula Rasmussen of BCA were proud to represent Jim. They praised Jim and Karen for the remarkable courage they showed after the injury and the lengthy recovery. “We are so pleased that their courage and persistence were richly rewarded today.”
The Yoders want to thank legal assistants Donna Baker and Eddie Macleod for their support and work preparing Jim’s case for trial. Jim and Karen look forward to enjoying life in the future together.
The Judge was Michael W. Jones at Placer County Superior Court
Opposing counsel for Union Pacific Railroad Co was Jacob Flesher and Jeremy Schroeder from Flesher McKague LLP
Other Notable Cases
- Jury verdict of $978k for a brakeman who was injured riding point on a cut of cars into a dark rail yard at night. Brakeman was thrown from the car and injured his back.
- Settlement of $750k for an engineer who was injured in route when the engineering chair broke. The internal crew had failed to properly inspect the chair.
- Settlement of $728k for a brakeman who was injured when a ladder on the car failed causing the brakeman to fall backwards.
- Settlement of $500k for a Maintenance of Way worker when a derail device failed causing the worker to be run over by the highrail.
- Confidential settlement for a roundhouse worker who was run over by a car. The car’s electric engine failed causing the car to roll and smash the worker against another car.
- Case against DOW Chemical in which a worker was smashed between two cars due to insufficient clearance. The worker required 25 surgeries on his lower body and is now wheelchair-bound. Accident occurred in May of 2010. The case is pending.